With daily life having grown so stressful and busy these days, it becomes very hard to stick to a healthy lifestyle. Exercise, eating fresh food and balanced meals are some of the aspects of good health that we no longer have the time to take care of perfectly, so most of us end up suffering the consequences of being overweight or unhealthy!
One of the main causes of this trend is normally the increase in eating out that most of us indulge in regularly. Dining at a restaurant or ordering food to be delivered is more convenient than cooking at home, especially when busy work schedules get in the way. Taking care of health and nutrition becomes even more difficult this way.
Tips for Eating Healthy Inside the Home and Out
Whether you cook your own meals or you eat out often, there are a few simple ways to ensure that you are getting the maximum nutrition from your food. You can also avoid foods that will damage your health and fitness levels by being aware of what is bad for you. These are 10 of the best tips to improve your eating habits and help you take care of your health:
- Eat Small Portions It’s always a good idea to eat smaller portions of food rather than stuffing yourself till you burst, since smaller amounts get digested more effectively. This applies to a home-cooked meal as well as the super-sized burger you’ve been eyeing at your local fast food joint!
- Slow Down When you’re eating a meal, make sure that you savour every bite by chewing it thoroughly before you swallow it. Take a pause between each bite and ensure that you have no distractions, like television. This helps your food to be digested well and helps you feel full faster, so you won’t overeat!
- Eat Fresh Foods As far as possible, choose fresh ingredients for your meals, since these are the healthiest. When you’re eating out or ordering food home, ask whether the restaurant or delivery chain uses fresh ingredients for items on their menu.
- Avoid Processed Foods Canned and processed food items tend to have very little nutritional value and a lot of preservatives. Choose fresh produce, meats and grain instead of pre-packaged or preservative-loaded varieties.
- Include Veggies and Salads While you can easily add a side dish of vegetables or fresh salads when you’re cooking at home, you can also include these while eating out. When placing an order, ask for extra veggies on the side and offer to pay for them. Most restaurants will not charge you for this and you can balance your meal this way.
- Skip Aerated Drinks Other than the high sugar content, these drinks also damage your teeth, gums and add ‘empty calories’ to your body. Instead, keep a glass of water, fruit juice or lemonade for sipping on, with your meal or after!
- Healthy Cooking There are different methods of cooking, some of which retain the maximum benefits of the food being cooked, like baking, shallow frying and steaming. These are the ones you should always pick over unhealthy ones like deep-fried and highly processed foods.
- Cleanliness and Hygiene This is a factor that we can always take care of in our homes, but eating out means you may be at risk. While most food chains and eateries follow health and hygiene codes, you should always be wary when you try a new place. Ask for their health board certification and pay careful attention to the cleanliness of the area.
- Watch the Add-ons Especially when you are dining out, there are likely to be a lot of additional sauces and toppings available, especially with appetizers. Skip the cheesy and creamy sauces since these are high in fat and normally include a lot of butter or oil. Instead, ask for low-fat salad dressings or salsa to accompany the meal.
- Follow a Balanced Diet The inclusion of protein, grains and fibre-rich foods is recommended for a nutritious meal, so avoid ordering only high-carb foods. Include fish and other food rich in ‘good’ fatty acids since these can help you maintain your health!
If you keep these tips in mind, you can eat healthy even if you are not cooking at home. Always visit the websites of takeaway Edinburgh restaurants or delivery chains and view the ingredients and cooking processes for their menu. Remember, it’s fine to opt for your favourite pizza delivery Edinburgh as long as you ensure that you are getting a healthy version!